UA-47897071-1

Thursday 2 January 2020

DESIGNER TALK. SPEAKING ABOUT CONDITIONS ADDING EMPHASIS


DESIGNER TALK 

SPEAKING ABOUT CONDITIONS

ADDING EMPHASIS


I. Lead-in.
A) Do you think it’s important to sound interested when you discuss future work with a client? What can you say to show that you’re really interested in the project?
B) How can you answer if during your talk a client says that your work is too expensive?
C) When would you think about changing your price if a client says that your work is too expensive? Would you do that? Why or why not?

II Watch the video and answer the questions.



1.    What do the freelance designer and his client talk about? What is the main goal of the conversation:
a) to discuss the details of the new logo for the company?
b) to ask the designer to create a logo and a poster for the same price?
c) to discuss the price of designer’s work?
d) to present a version of the logo to the client?
2.    What does the client want to have as a result of the conversation? What is his ‘perfect result’:
a)       the designer agrees to make a poster and a logo and a video for the same price?
b)      the designer agrees to make a logo for a small price?
c)       the designer understands the problems of the company?
d)      the designer recommends sites and other companies that can make cheap logos?
3.       What does the designer want to have as a result of the conversation? What is his ‘perfect result’:
a)       the client agrees to give him work in future at a lower price?
b)      the client agrees to pay a larger sum for the extra task: video and photos?
c)       the client agrees to pay the price the designer wants to charge? 
d)      the client doesn’t hire the designer but recommends him to other companies?
4.    What problems did the client have with graphic designers in the past?
5.    How does the designer show that he is better than others (other designers and design firms)?
6.    How does the conversation end? Will the designer and the client work together on this project?

III Watch the part of the video and fill in the gaps with the words from the list.


should change; understand; should start; hire; can pay; should get frustrated; is

Client: I don’t want you to just sell me that  you  submit on the deadline. Or before the deadline…

Designer: I'm not trying to sell you anything, Mr. John Smith. I just assume that you and I are talking because you're looking for a better solution than what you are currently getting either in design quality, in professionalism and customer experience or just basic business practices of saying what you gonna do and then doing what you're going to say. That’s what I do. What my clients come to me for isn't necessarily for the logo, which I think you can get lots of that stuff done. I'm not going to argue with that. And you 1)_____ any kind of price from $ 5 on a site like Fiverr on up to a couple hundred thousand dollars if you 2)_____ an international branding firm. What I think I'm going to give to you is something that 3)___ on par with what international standards are at a much more affordable price. Because, you know, what I'm a young guy, I'm fairly new at this. I only have a couple years of experience, but I think I can give you, guys, an amazing customer experience and give you some really smart solutions.  But to do that I do need to be in that range of $ 1,000 to $ 2,000. If that's not a good fit for you, I totally 4)_______. Use the options that you have available to you. And I will continue doing what I need to do. But if things 5)______ on your end, if you 6)_____, if you 7)______ to feel like you're spending too much time managing people or getting subpar work or missing deadlines that cost you real money, please do reach out. I will be here.

 IV Grammar. Conditional sentences.
A) Study the rules.

Zero Conditional (Real conditional)
Real, possible at any time, but most commonly in present
If-clause
,
Main clause
Present Simple
Present Simple
If you identify the key values of the company
you create a successful branding campaign for them.









 Meaning and use:
1) Situations that can occur at any time (more than once) and their results.
If you press this key, the game starts.

2) Actions which always have the same result.
If you use light yellow text on the white background, it is difficult to read.

3) General instruction.
If you want to upload a picture, press red button.

Type 1 Conditional  (Real conditional)
Possible or likely in the future
If-clause
,
Main clause
Present Simple
Future Simple
(can, may + Infinitive)
(Infinitive (in imperative sentences/commands))
should +V
(formal language)
to show that something is  very unlikely

If you’re in search of an honest assessment

Remember, if you are a member of Portfolio Plus

If you should have problems opening the attached image
a portfolio review will be what you’re looking for.

you can enter unlimited artworks for free.


please contact our IT support department.


  
Meaning and use:
1) Possible future events and their results.
If we like your design, we will give you more orders in future.
2) Imperative sentences/ command.
If you have further questions about the design process, contact me to discuss them.

B) Find the examples of the sentences from task III to illustrate the rules.
1.    Real situations and their results. _______
2.    Actions which always have the same result
3.    Possible future events and their results __________
4.    Imperative sentences _____________


V Practise using conditional sentences. Open the brackets and use the correct form of the verbs. Explain the use of the conditional sentences. Watch the part of the dialogue and check.


Client:  Listen, Chase. We really do like your work and we know ...

Designer: I appreciate that.

Client:   OK. But then you can think how if you 1)_____ (help) us this time, perhaps we can 2)_____ (have) more business for you later if you 3)_____(give) us a better price than what you're asking now. How does that sound?

Designer: It sounds horrible. How many times have you gone in to buy something where the guy gives you a half .. I'm sorry. As a vendor, when you sell something to one of your clients where somebody says: “ I'll give you half of what you're worth. And if I 4)_____(like) it, I 5)_____ (come) back and give you something more, maybe”. Would you do that deal?

Client:  No. It doesn’t sound good.

Designer: It doesn't sound good, right?

Client:  We're an established business and we always work with graphic designers. And you  know that. So if we're happy with you, we  definitely 6)_____ (hire) you back.

Designer: Sure. I hope so. Most of my clients are repeat customers of mine because I give them what they need. I totally do. And that should just be part of a working relationship. OK?

Client:  OK.

Designer: And I like that you're an established business. So you know better than I do what the value of the work is and what happens when we don't deliver.  You know what's at stake. And you have the resources.  Let me ask you this one question before I say goodbye.  What’s the maximum amount of money that you're willing to spend on this?

Client: Errm.  I'd say, perhaps  around $ 500-600…

 Designer: OK.  I'll tell you what.  I appreciate you accommodating me. You came in saying it's a $200 thing. And I was saying $1,000 to $ 2,000. I see that gesture you're making. And I want to meet you somewhere in the middle.  Here, let me just think about this for a second. So if we did something for say $750, would you be okay with that?

Client: Sure. Yeah.  I need to think about this, because …

Designer: Take your time.

Client: It doubles in the initial budget we have in mind, but yet we'll think about this one.
Designer: Yes. OK. Let me know.  I'm making this concession. I see that you want to work with me and I appreciate it. And I'm glad you like my work. This time for the first time I'm willing to do for $ 750, but I also want to just be very clear and state this. 7)_____ (want) you to work with me in the future, and you would like to work, I have to charge you where I normally charge, which is probably somewhere between a $1,000 to $ 2,000. OK?

Client: Ok. Sounds good.

Designer: Thanks a lot.

Client:  Hopefully we start working together


 Designer: It was a pleasure. Thank you.


VI Grammar. Adding emphasis. To stress what you want to say and to add emphasis use the forms of the verb do before the main verb in Present Simple, Past Simple or Imperative.

For example:  


They have lower prices.                                        ] They do have lower prices.
(We want to stress that they really have lower prices)
He works photo and videos.                                  ] He does work with photos and videos.
(We want to stress that he really works photo and videos.)

He delivered.                                                            ]He did deliver.
(We want to stress that he really delivered.)

Get in touch with us later.                                                    ] Do get in touch with us later.
(We want to stress that you really need to get in touch with us.)

VII Practise. Adding emphasis. Change the sentences to make them more emphatic. Watch the parts of the dialogue to check your answers.

1.    But to do that I really need to be in that range of $ 1,000 to $ 2,000.  ___________.
2.    But if things should change on your end, please you really need to reach out. ______
3.    We really like your work and we know . _________
4.    Should you want to work with me in the future, and you really like to work, I have to charge you where I normally charge. ___________


VIII Practise. Change the part of the sentences in bold to make them more emphatic.

1.    We agreed on the price of 800.
2.    I really want to work with you.
3.    I make the best videos.
4.    I deliver.
5.    You really need to find another designer to do the job.
6.    The price $ 1,200 really seems like a lot of money.
7.    I need a minute to think about your offer.
8.    Make you choice.
9.    I appreciate you accommodating me.
10.If this solution works for you, I totally understand.
11.The previous designer missed the deadline.
12.The company we worked with in the past delivered high quality work.
13.Our designers have a lot of experience in pattern making.
14.The client had some specific changes in mind.
15.That gives us time to design the new signs,
16.You had a chance to have a look at the cover ideas I left you.
17.The first poster looks too dark.
18.This corporation needs a non-traditional logo.
19.She specialized in print design.
20.The client sent more information about the specifications yesterday.
21.You warned the client that the editing might take longer.
22.In this image all the colour and shapes blended together.
23.The client asked to add a few more details.
24.I kept the original concept.
25.You told me to darken the background.
26.The client liked the way they designed the new logo.
27.The client wants the logo by tomorrow morning.

IX OVER TO YOU. Work in groups of two. Write and act out a similar conversation between a client and a designer (use emphatic sentences and conditional sentences).



No comments:

Post a Comment